Celebrations, Kudos, and Good News!

Andrews Graduates Succeed in the Working World

Jennifer Allen
Andrews Graduates Succeed in the Working World
by Jennifer Al, RN, CCS, CPC-A - Saturday, 2 December 2017, 12:56 PM

I just wanted to post a note here for all the current students who may be feeling a bit overwhelmed by all that is expected during the Andrews coding course.

At this time last year, I was working on Module 4.  After finishing Module 3 and passing the CPC, I thought “the rest of this course is going to be a piece of cake!”  But it wasn’t.  It was difficult.  Just like the rest of the Andrews coding curriculum.  And there were plenty of times that I thought, “How am I ever going to finish this section?” or “I feel like I have no idea what I’m doing!” or “Really?!?  I correctly coded diagnoses V, W, X, Y, and Z, AND I LOST POINTS ON THE EXTERNAL CAUSE CODE!!!”  We have all been there, and it can be discouraging.  But keep calm and code on.  It only gets better!

This year I am working as a remote coder, and I love it!  The Andrews course prepared me SO WELL that I am able to work remotely, even though this is my very first coding position. 

I don’t have co-workers next to me who can answer my questions, so I have to research, read (and re-read) guidelines, and figure things out for myself.  And that is the way I coded in school, so I am up for the challenge!  I have a supervisor who I can e-mail at any time if I have questions, which is the same way I learned from my instructors.  And I am SO grateful that the Andrews course taught me how to “defend” my codes.  If I disagree with an audit, I know how to “speak up” and explain why I chose specific codes.

So thank you Linda, Glenda, Instructor Peggy, Instructor Sue, Instructor Emily, Instructor Debby, Instructor Adrienne, and all the instructors and staff who make Andrews a great place to learn medical coding.  You all do a great job, and thanks to you, we succeed!

Picture of Kell Fe, CCS, CPC-A
Re: Andrews Graduates Succeed in the Working World
by Kell Fe, CCS, CPC-A - Sunday, 3 December 2017, 7:39 AM

Thanks for sharing your story of success, Jennifer. What kind of coding are you doing? It's always good to hear and know that it DOES happen for Andrews grads. Thanks for the inspiration!!. 

Picture of Charity We, CCS, CPC-A
by Charity We, CCS, CPC-A - Monday, 4 December 2017, 8:27 AM

Thank you very much for your post, Jennifer! It is very encouraging :)

Picture of Melanie Mo
by Melanie Mo - Monday, 4 December 2017, 11:19 AM

Thank you so much for coming back and posting this, Jennifer! I am in module 4 and feel like I will never finish. It has taken me such a long time to get here, and I do wonder if I will ever finish! So your post reminds me to keep pushing on, and hopefully someday I will be like you!

Melanie

Picture of Linda Pi
by Linda Pi - Monday, 4 December 2017, 2:09 PM

Thank you so much for posting this!  As a single mother of a handicapped child, working remotely is my dream!!!  It is so nice to hear that it has worked out for others Andrews graduates.

Picture of Dayna To, CPC-A
by Dayna To, CPC-A - Monday, 4 December 2017, 9:19 PM

What a great message.  I'm just finishing up Module 1 and I've been hoping to read a message just like yours at some point to re-enforce I'm not wasting my time.  Thank you.  

Picture of Remona Se
by Remona Se - Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 12:43 PM

Very inspiring, indeed. Thank you. 

Picture of Theresa Ro, CCS
by Theresa Ro, CCS - Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 11:06 PM

Thank you for sharing such an encouraging testimony!! :) This is exactly what I needed to hear!! I am continually a work in progress.. just trying to get thru the last half of Mod 3!!

Picture of Rebecca Mac
by Rebecca Mac - Wednesday, 6 December 2017, 1:21 PM

Well done! And thanks for the encouragement. I'm just getting started with this, and it's nice to see that the light at the end of the tunnel is not really an oncoming train :)