General Discussions

Check your local hospital employment boards-- you never know!

Picture of Tracey Pa, CPC-A
Check your local hospital employment boards-- you never know!
by Tracey Pa, CPC-A - Monday, 22 August 2016, 2:07 PM

I'm posting this to encourage everyone to keep an eye on your local hospital's employment boards, even if you are earlier in your training than you would think could get you a job.  I happened to be looking on ours just to see what opportunities there were for coders when I saw a listing for a coder apprentice --  yes, a real training position requiring a CPC, CCS, or current enrollment in a coding program. The job description was very similar to what we are doing in Module III.   I applied and got one of the two positions (still on cloud nine!), and I feel the experience will be priceless. 

So do check out local listings-- you never know what is going on at your local hospital,and apprentice positions do still happen!

Picture of Tawne Gl, CPC-A
Re: Check your local hospital employment boards-- you never know!
by Tawne Gl, CPC-A - Tuesday, 23 August 2016, 11:49 AM

That is so awesome.  Congratulations!

Picture of Sheryl Ba
by Sheryl Ba - Tuesday, 23 August 2016, 1:07 PM

Thank you for sharing, Tracey.  I never even thought of that sort of thing being a possibility...will have to check it out.

Picture of Heidi Le, CPC-A
by Heidi Le, CPC-A - Tuesday, 23 August 2016, 5:09 PM

I've also found a posting on a local hospital website looking for both credentialed and non credentialed coders.  The non credentialed description also said current students.  I applied over a month ago, but have not yet heard anything.  Great advice -  Congratulations on your new job! That is awesome!!

Picture of Kell Fe, CCS, CPC-A
by Kell Fe, CCS, CPC-A - Wednesday, 24 August 2016, 9:38 AM

Yay Tracey!!  How awesome for you!!

Picture of Tracey Pa, CPC-A
by Tracey Pa, CPC-A - Wednesday, 24 August 2016, 10:03 AM

Heidi,  it took them a month to get back to me, so I wouldn't say you are out of the running! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you-- good luck!